Monday, February 15, 2010

Pumpkin Thanks Auntie Tam for the Lamb Bone!


I like lamb but have always been intimidated by preparing it. My girlfriend Tamera raises Icelandic sheep and we were lucky enough to get one of her legs of lamb this fall. It’s been sitting in the freezer and she’s always asking “have you cooked your leg of lamb yet?”. I’ve planned to prepare it several times but finally decided Valentines would be the day.

After a conversation I had with my uncle yesterday, he mentioned a method of deboning and removing a gland which I now know is a popliteal gland. Apparently removing this is supposed to cut back on the gamey taste of lamb however many critics disagree. I’m ambitious so I sharpened my deboning knife and went for it, only referring to the internet mid stream twice for some visual aids.

I’m not sure if I found the gland or not but I removed everything that resembled glandular matter as well as any excess fat and surprisingly had a nicely butter flied leg of lamb. I’ve slathered it in Garlic, Rosemary, dried lemon peel, mustard seeds, olive oil and some of my home made seasoning mix. I call this mix my “friendship spice” which we will cover under another posting. Marcie, this is the spice you love on your pork chops!

It was getting rather late on Valentines day so we decided we would wait till Monday afternoon to roast this delicious meat and have ourselves a belated Valentines dinner. Robert decided to chew on the last of the left over vegetarian chili (below on my blog) and french bread pizza. What a combo, but now I have extra room in the fridge.

However Pumpkin wants to thank Auntie Tamera for the tasty bone. I slathered the bone just as I did the meat and roasted this early this morning. My house smells divine and Pumpkin is grinding away on the bone.

Tam, thanks for the lamb and can’t wait to help make cheese this spring.

Teri

1 comment:

  1. You've motivated me to try cooking the other leg!
    Maybe you'll spare me a little of your friendship spice?

    ReplyDelete