Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chili Rubbed Steaks



In my previous post I mentioned the chili rubbed steak and this is something I don’t deviate much from. With little deviation, I have to admit it’s never exactly the same each time, but why? The answer is the chilies and the blend and ratio I use each time. Several times a year I go to the discount stores that have large Mexican bulk isles and purchase various chilies from Ancho, Pasilla, Chipotle, to New Mexico dried chilies. I pull out my coffee grinder (never used for Coffee anymore) and make my own blend and keep it in an air tight container and dive into it for various rubs, chili and other Mexican dishes. When I get low I buy more and add to the previous batch creating a different blend each time. You can use regular chili powder from the grocery store but it’s truly a different experience with freshly ground chilies. Penze Spices (store) carries various chili blends that are also high quality, but you’ll pay the price. I could whip you up a batch for pennies but you’ll pay at least $6 or $7 bucks to buy a good quality blend.
There is little or no measuring to this recipe. Open your beef (preferably grass fed) and lay it out on a cutting board or shallow pan, but I typically just use the butcher paper it came in (no dishes). Liberally slather the steaks with crushed garlic, my favorite are the frozen cubes at Trader Joes. Ratio would be 1 clove or cube per large steak. Next sprinkle chili powder (about a heaping tsp per steak), kosher salt and fresh ground pepper then drizzle with olive oil. Massage the wet rub into the steaks so that it is fully covered. Allow the steaks to remain at room temperature at least and hour, but preferably two. This will allow the steak to cook evenly and quickly. Fire up the Barbeque or Grill pan and cook to your desired doneness. What’s frequently missed is the resting time. It is imperative you allow the meat to rest at least 5 minutes before serving. Tent you plate or platter with aluminum foil or paper towels if you concerned about loosing the temperature.
What out Bobby Flay!

No comments:

Post a Comment